WATERTOWN, Wis. -- A late penalty kick in the first half and a goal with less than 30 seconds left in the game gave Webster University a hard-earned 2-0 win over MBU today.
Webster currently holds the #7 spot in the latest NCAA regional rankings, as they have established themselves as a central-region powerhouse for Division III this season.
- Result: Maranatha 0-2 Webster
- Venue: Maranatha Baptist University
- Location: Watertown, Wis.
- Attendance: 142
- Records: MBU (0-8-0), WU (8-1-0)
In perhaps their best defensive performance all season, the Sabercats locked down their defensive half for the majority of the first half. Webster needed a penalty kick to open the scoring, as Juan Garcia slotted in his opportunity from 12 yards out. The PK came with less than two minutes remaining in the first half.
The Sabercats pressed in the second half and almost found the equalizer. It came when Tyler Nelson connected with Nathan Campbell on a dangerous corner kick, but Campbell's jumping volley was turned away by the Gorlok's keeper.
On the ensuing corner kick, a loose ball fell to the feet of Brendan Burckart, but his reaction-shot was blocked by a hard-working Webster defender.
The dagger came with 28 seconds left, and it was Garcia that found the net for the insurance goal. Aamahn Murvin's attempted bicycle kick fell to the feet of Garcia, who finished off the far post to seal the deal for Webster.
- Shot count: WU 27-6 MBU
- Andrew Taylor: 9 saves in the loss
- Campbell: 2 shots on goal
- Series: this was the first match in the all-time series
- The Gorloks are listed #7 in the latest NCAA DIII Central Regional Poll
- Webster competes in the St. Louis Intercollegiate Athletic Conference and received the #1 vote in the preseason poll
- The Gorloks had a seven-game winning streak snapped by Millikin on Wednesday
- That loss to Millikin was the first game that the Gorloks allowed a goal so far this season (excludes exhibitions)
The Sabercats' grind continues with a home matchup with the Finlandia Lions on Tuesday at 3:45 p.m. Follow at mbusabercats.com/composite.