WATERTOWN, Wis. -- The only chances Illinois Tech needed were two shots from outside the penalty area, as they took home a 2-0 win on a crisp day in Watertown.
After today, the Sabercats have just one home game remaining in the 2019 season.
- Result: Maranatha 0-2 Illinois Tech
- Venue: Maranatha Baptist University
- Location: Watertown, Wis.
- Attendance: 41
- Records: MBU (5-6-2), IIT (5-8-1)
Tech took almost 20 minutes to find the breakthrough, as they had to fight off some early offensive presence from Maranatha. The goal was perfectly placed, as Christopher Reed hit a chipped shot to the far corner, scoring from 20 yards away for the opening goal of the game.
Maranatha tried to equalize and saw two balls cleared off the line by some staunch IIT defending, and Austin DeAngelo rattled the post with a low free kick as halftime approached. There seemed to be no way through for MBU, and going into the halftime break, the Sabercats trailed 1-0.
Right after the halftime break, the Scarlet Hawks basically recreated their goal from the first half. Peter Fouchet hit a deflected shot from the top of the Sabercats' penalty area, and it looped in just under the crossbar for a jolting start to the second half.
While the chances came the Sabercats way in the first half, they were few and far between in the second half. MBU pressed but could not find a way through the rigid IIT defense. After 90 frustrating minutes in Watertown, the Sabercats came away with the 2-0 loss.
MBU Starters: 1- Kinzler, 4- Roer, 7- Nelson, 8- Campbell, 9-Wright, 10-St. Lawrence, 11- DeAngelo (C), 12- Steuerwald, 18- Shepard, 19- C. Hockema (C), 20-Dafoe
- Shot count: Maranatha 9-18 Illinois Tech
- Tim Kinzler: 5 saves
- Last year: Illinois Tech won 3-0 at home
- Series: IIT now leads the all-time series 6-1-0
- The Scarlet Hawks compete in the Northern Athletics Collegiate Conference (NCAA DIII)
- IIT is 1-4-1 in NACC play
- IIT took a 5-0 win over Moody Bible Institute earlier this season
The Sabercats will host Lincoln Christian University for a 3:15 p.m. Parents' Day kickoff on Saturday. Follow at mbusabercats.com/schedule.