WATERTOWN, Wis. -- There was no stopping the Sabercats on Parents' Day, as they took home their second win this season over Lincoln Christian University by a score of 5-0.
Kseniya Hassenplug scored her first collegiate goals, as the freshman netted a brace to fuel an emphatic win.
- Result: Maranatha 5-0 Lincoln Christian
- Venue: Maranatha Baptist University
- Location: Watertown, Wis.
- Attendance: 141
- Records: MBU (4-5-0), LCU (1-10-0)
Hassenplug scored right away, putting the Sabercats on the board in the fifth minute. After Hannah Evans placed it in Hassenplug's path, the freshman dribbled into the box before slamming the ball untouched into the back of the LCU net.
Just a minute later, Amy Montgomery scored a beauty - the captain collected it at the top of the box and curled a left-footed shot into the top corner of the net for an instant 2-0 lead. Just like that, the Sabercats had a firm grip on the game.
The scoring cooled off from that point on, however. It wasn't until the 65th minute that the Sabercats found a third, but it came when Sarah Bagin finished from inside the box off of a first-career assist from Makayla Willette. That goal took the life out of an already-struggling Red Lions team, as the Sabercats were headed for a celebratory win.
That win came after two late goals from the Blue and Gold, punctuating an exciting day on the MBU campus. Taylor Moses poked the ball away from the LCU goalkeeper and finished into the gaping net in the 87th minute, then Hassenplug netted her second of the day with just 20 seconds left on the clock, finishing a pass from Montgomery for the fifth and final goal.
MBU Starters: 0- Wright, 5- Hassenplug, 6- Montgomery (C), 7- Evans, 10- Riley, 11- Torres, 12-Moore, 13- Bagin, 15- Hendrickson, 17- Moses, 19- Steuerwald
- Hassenplug: 2 goals
- Montgomery: 1 goal, 1 assist, 5 shots on goal
- Bagin: first goal of the season
- Willette: first career assist
- Evans: first assist of the season
- Trisha Wright: 1 save in the shutout
- Last time: Maranatha beat Lincoln Christian 10-1 on October 5 in Lincoln, Illinois
- Series: Maranatha now leads the all-time series 13-0-1
- LCU are members of the NAIA and the NCCAA DI
- LCU competes in the NAIA as an independent member
- LCU used to compete with Maranatha in the NCCAA DII Midwest Region
The Sabercats will travel to the Twin Cities to take on North Central University on Tuesday at 2:00 p.m. Follow at mbusabercats.com/schedule.